No Christmas Letter – Part II?

After reading “No Christmas Letter” I realized it should have said – Part I.  I forgot to mention that in the middle of learning how to be a vendor at an Art Show, we had been approached by a neighbor to sell them our home.  Since the store was on the market, wouldn’t we like to sell our house?

Yes, we would.  At that point my best friend, partner and spouse looked at me completely dumbfounded.  Why?  I “swore” I wouldn’t sell my home before the store again.  The last time we ended up living in our fifth wheel for five years with 17 degree winters.  Not again!!!!!

Motivation to have different experiences and fresh fruit and vegetables year-round won out.  We started out negotiating for a down payment and we would carry the balance.  Then it was a little different and in the end they ended up paying cash.  That allowed us to spend September house hunting. We made one offer for a unique property but the owners decided they wanted more money, we could make all the repairs and until we had the cash from the sale of our house it would stay on the market.  It was total insult.  We outright rejected that one. We ended up looking at about 10 homes.  6 we never got a chance to look inside because they were under contract before we could get an opportunity to see it. The other four all had problems – to small, too expensive, too many repairs – until one Monday morning I got up, went to the computer to see any new listings and there it was, our new home.  I got on the phone and made arrangements to see it at 3PM that day.  That gave us little time to spare to get there.

Needless to say, it was perfect for the price, location and opportunity for Tracy to put in his lapidary shop.  No landscaping to care for because it’s all rocks.  In the meantime, we did two more shows, made more product and tried to make sure everything with the sale/purchase process were moving along as needed.

We’re about 2/3 moved into storage at the moment.  Have to get my finger checked again tomorrow (that’s another post) but the majority of it all is done.  I finished my studio and computer station today. Tracy got the financial desk, file cabinet and freezer out today.  That just leaves all the last minute furniture, two pantries and the kitchen.  We’ll start loading the trailer Friday with things we know we’re taking with us to Quartzsite.  I’m sure that will be another post as well.

Until next time – – – –


Be Careful What You Ask For!

My world has been upside down and inside out for the past almost 60 days (my goodness it feels longer than that) A local business offered to purchase our home and we said yes. Wow, how to set your life in a diferent direction in a hurry.

Paper work, agreements, contracts, CPA’s, bankers, how to move, where to move, when to move, and the list goes on and on. Part of it is done. The house is sold, the money in the bank and now the task of finding somewhere to move to and back to paper work, agreements, etc.

We have a wonderful realtor that isn’t local so I email or text her of a house we’d like to see and she makes arrangements with other realtors for us to go in. I took time to go back on our text message chain and found we’ve looked at too many houses in the past 60 days to count and we’re back to the house we started with. In the meantime we’ve tried to see several but were sold just before we got there. One was in a neighborhood where the hillside has caused the ground to move and the houses also. We looked at a great ranch property, but missed that one by hours. We looked at another ranch style home but needed $20,000 worth of water damage repair. We looked at a house where the garage and shop were wonderful but the modular was from the 1990’s early mode with the paper-thin walls and short ceilings. We’ve driven the neighborhoods so many times we have a much better understanding of the towns and rural areas than ever before. And we are back at the house we started with.

And then we looked at a wonderful little stick-built house with a great view and minimal repairs. And now we’re in a bidding war with several other buyers. We should know our fate by Thursday of the coming week. Hopefully we’ll have one or the other of the two houses under contract and can move on with our plans. Especially since we have to be out of our house by December 31st and we have to be in Quaztsite by Jan. 1st.

I’m excited to have all this done with and know our fate. But getting into these situations always reminds me “Be careful what you ask for”.

Until next time………